THEA1110 -- Introduction to Stagecraft II
FINDING BOOKS USING THE LIBRARY CATALOG
Library of Congress Subject Headings
Clothing and dress
Theater - Architecture
Theater - Production and direction
Theaters - Construction
Theaters - Sound effects
Theaters - Stage setting and scenery
Use with subheadings such as:
Dictionaries and encyclopedias
Use with time periods, movements such as:
Use with country such as:
Use name of country with subheading such as:
Social life and customs
Also use more specific headings such as:
Shopping Canada Catalogs (to locate Eaton's Catalogue HF 5465 C34 E27 1864+ Special Collections)
Gillette, J. Michael. Theatrical Design and Production: An Introduction to Scene Design, Lighting, Sound, Costume, and Makeup. 6th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill Higher Education, 2008. PN 2085 G5 2008
Aronson, Joseph, The Encyclopedia of Furniture. New York: Crown Publishers, 1965. NK 2205 A7 1965 Scott Reference
Banham, Joanna. Encyclopedia of Interior Design. London: Fitzroy Dearborn, 1997. NK 1165 E48 1997 vol. 1 Scott Reference
Condra, Jill, ed. The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Clothing through World History. Westport: Greenwood Press, 2008. GT 507 G74 2008 vol. 1 Scott Reference
FINDING ARTICLES USING LIBRARY DATABASES
Dictionaries and Encyclopedias
Oxford Art Online
• The Grove Dictionary of Art is the world's first comprehensive art reference work covering all forms of the visual arts: painting, sculpture, architecture, graphic and decorative arts, and photography from prehistory to the 1990s. Includes links to approximately 10,000 color images from the world's leading museums, picture libraries, and galleries.
Oxford Reference Online
• Includes over 100 dictionary, language reference, and subject reference works published by Oxford University Press, including the Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts .
• Coverage of a wide variety of topics in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences makes it an excellent database for the initial stages of research. Includes both popular and scholarly periodicals. Includes full-text.
• Subjects covered include archaeology, architecture and architectural history, art history, computers in art, folk art, graphic arts, industrial design, landscape architecture, painting, photography and sculpture. Useful for locating articles for set and costume design
Avery Index to Architectural Periodicals
• Comprehensive listing of journal articles published worldwide on architecture and design, archaeology, city planning, interior design, and historic preservation.
International Bibliography of Art / Bibliography of the History of Art
• This extensive and comprehensive index covers European and American art from late antiquity to the present.
British Humanities Index
• Indexes over 320 humanities journals and weekly magazines published in the UK and other English speaking countries, as well as several newspapers published in the UK.
Expanded Academic ASAP
• Provides access to the full-text of more than 3,500 periodicals including more than 2,000 scholarly journals. Citations (or abstracts) are provided for an additional 1,500 titles. Coverage of a wide variety of topics in the humanities, sciences, and social sciences makes it an excellent database for the initial stages of research.
• Indexes more than 500 journals in the humanities. Topics include archaeology, fine art, classics, communications, dance, film, gender studies, history, journalism, linguistics, literary criticism, music, the performing arts, philosophy, and religion.
International Bibliography of Theatre & Dance with Full Text
• A fully indexed, cross-referenced and annotated databank of over 60,000 journal articles, books, book chapters and dissertation abstracts on all aspects of theatre and performance in 126 countries.
International Index to the Performing Arts Full Text
• Indexes academic and popular performing arts (including dance, theatre and film) journals. Flexible searching enables limits by document type, e.g. reviews, essays, notation, or by broad subject categories. Includes many full-text articles.
North American Theatre Online
• Detailed reference information for theatrical figures, plays, theatres, productions and production companies, from Colonial times to the present, in Canada and the United States. Also includes images, playbills, postcards and scrapbooks.
• An interdisciplinary database covering a broad range of subjects including arts, business, children, education, general interest, health, humanities, international studies, law, military, multicultural studies, psychology, sciences, social sciences, and women's studies. Includes full-text.
Theatre in Video
• Contains more than 250 definitive performances of the world's leading plays, together with more than 100 film documentaries, online in streaming video.
FINDING IMAGES USING LIBRARY DATABASES
• Includes approximately 300,000 images covering art, architecture and archeology.
A Brief Guide to Internet Resources in Theatre and Performance Studies (links to websites dealing with a broad range of theatre related topics)
Digital Librarian: A Librarian's Choice of the Best on the Web: Performing Arts
Performing Arts Encyclopedia (provided by the Library of Congress)
Theatre History on the Web (comprehensive list of web resources by period and category)
The WWW Virtual Library: Theatre and Drama
Museum/Library websites such as:
Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Reading Room
Metropolitan Museum of Art
New York Public Library Digital Gallery
V & A Collections
V & A Collections: Theatre & Performance
Commercial sites such as:
Bridgeman Art Library
An inspiring source of stock photography portraying fine art pieces, renowned masterpieces and little-known gems from private collections. The Bridgeman Art Library offers rights-managed images covering a vast range of paintings, vintage artifacts, etchings and more -- from photos of cave paintings to historic coins, 1920s art deco pictures to more contemporary images from the 1990s.
Theatrecrafts (glossary of technical theatre terms)
Milieux Costuming Sources (wide range of links to period costumes)
The Costumer's Manifesto (guide to costume history with links to articles and illustrations)
Elizabethan Costume Page
Fashion-era (site devoted to illustrated pages of fashion history, costume history, clothing, fashions, and social history.)
History of Costume (online version of book by Braun & Scheider)
Makeup-FX (links to sites, a gallery, and guide for creating makeup special effects)
Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute
Medieval Clothing Pages
Ravensgard Costuming and Textiles Page
Victoria & Albert Museum: Fashion, Jewellery and Accessories
The Development of Scenic Spectacle