How to Assign Quizzes
Quizzes for each SPARK module are available. To view these quizzes, see the "Quizzes (DOC Files)" box to the right.
There are two options for assigning the quizzes online:
1. Import the Quizzes into your existing course in Moodle
- Quizzes directly embedded in your course and tied to gradebook
- Less administration required for ensuring completion
- There are some basic steps to get the SPARK quizzes set up in your course
Instructions [PDF with images]:
- From the "Quizzes (XML Files)" box (top right of this screen), click on the quiz you would like to import into your Moodle course.
- Save the XML file where it will be easy to retrieve. Depending on your browser settings, the file may save automatically or it may open in a browser.
- Open your course in Moodle. In the "Administration" box, click on "Question Bank", then click "Import".
- In the "File Format" box, select "Moodle XML format". In the "Import Questions from File" box, click "Choose a File".
- In the pop-up box, select "Upload a File", click "Choose File" or "Browse", and then select the XML file saved in step #2. Copyright status should be changed to "Use of the material is covered by a licence from the copyright holder or with their permission." Click "Upload this File".
- Click "Import" in the "Import questions from file" box.
- In the "Administration" box, click "Categories" and you should see the imported quiz listed along with the number of questions included (in parentheses).
- Return to your course homepage and ensure that Editing is turning on. In the relevant course section, you will need to add a quiz (if needed, instructions available).
- Once your new quiz is added, click on the link for your newly created quiz and then click "Edit Quiz".
- In the centre block titled "Editing quiz: xxx", click "Add" and select "a random question".
- In the pop-up box, select the relevant quiz category and the number of questions you would like included in the quiz. Click "Add random questions".
- Return to your course homepage and ensure that the newly created quiz is active for your students.
2. Direct students to the existing SPARK Quiz Moodle course for completion there
- No set-up required; just point students to the SPARK course in Moodle to complete the assigned quiz.
- Will work if you are not using Moodle for your course.
- Increased administration required since the assigned quizzes are not integrated into your course in Moodle. Students must hand in results individually.
- Direct your students to the SPARK course in Moodle with instructions as to which quizzes to complete. The URL to provide students is https://moodle.yorku.ca/moodle/course/view.php?id=52143
- If you would like to track student completion or mark received on assigned quizzes, you have a couple of options:
- in Moodle, create an assignment for the quiz and have students upload a screen capture displaying their quiz results
- have students e-mail a screen capture of their quiz results
- have students physically hand-in a print-out of their quiz results
If you have any questions about this process, please contact email@example.com.
Quizzes (XML Files)
- Academic Integrity XML
- Books, Journals, & More XML
- Choosing a Topic XML
- Creating Bibliographies XML
- Effective Reading Strategies XML
- Essay Editing XML
- Essay Structure XML
- Gathering & Noting Ideas XML
- Research Strategies XML
- Revising Your Arguments XML
- Time Management XML
- Understanding the Assignment XML
- Writing Strategies XML
Quizzes (DOC Files)
The following documents provide the questions and answers to the SPARK quizzes. Feel free to modify these for your own purposes. Passport York login is required to access these documents.